Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Newcastle Clone

Newcastle is one of those classic ales.  A nice brown ale with a bit of nutty flavor that is enjoyed all around the world.  This also includes my friend David (who picks Newcastle over everything).  So to help out David and give me something to do, I decided to brew a double batch of Newcastle (11 gallon) and split it with him.  I'm even experimenting a little and using two different yeasts, so I can compare them.  They're both new to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they each turn out.

Recipe:
11 gallon

Grain:
12.5# GW 2-Row
2# Flaked Corn
1# Carapils
1# Crystal 60L
1# Crystal 80L
1# Crystal 120L
.5# Chocolate Malt
.1# Roasted Barley

Hops:
1.5oz Magnum 13% @ 60m (substituted for Target)
.5oz East Kent Goldings 5% @15m

Yeast(s):
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale in one bucket
White Labs 005(?) London Ale Yeast in the other bucket

Notes:
I actually brewed this last week and forgot to blog it.  Brewing was smooth and easy, although it took a little longer than I like for the fermentation to begin.  I think it's because I was at 60 degrees instead of the target 70 degrees.  Once I got them up to temp, they started right up.  I think they're done fermenting, so I'll keg one of them and then bottle the other batch with David sometime next week.
Update 1/27/12:  Bottled and kegged last week sometime (Tuesday the 17th maybe?).  David took home 54 bottles of the Whitbread version and a few of the London Ale version.  I kegged the London Ale version and kept a few of the Whitbread.

Here's the tasty details...it's been a while since I've had a Newcastle, so I'll need to do an actual side by side soon.  The Whitbread version tastes much closer to an actual Newcastle.  The London version has a sweet, almost tangy finish.  The Whitbread is much crisper and cleaner finish.  Both are good in their own ways, however I don't see myself brewing the London Ale Yeast version again.  Not sure if I really like that yeast.  I'll have to brew it in something else to see how the taste goes in that.  A good experiment though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...