Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Heavenly Storehouses Laden With Snow

Christmas Ale time!  This being the first Christmas I am brewing means that this will be my first attempt at a Christmas Ale. I'm not doing any spices in this though as I don't want to screw it up and ruin it.  I loosely based the recipe off Widmer's Brrrr, although I don't know if I've had that one at all.  I just liked the malts in their recipe and the hops used, so it seemed like a good route to go.

The name of the recipe comes from the song "Indescribable" by Chris Tomlin, who got the lyric line from Job 38:22.  My wife thought that that was a really silly line before she found out it was from the Bible.  She still thinks it's silly, but at least it's biblical this way.  So since it refers to storehouses of snow and when I think of snow I think of Christmas, it seemed fitting.  Now if only it would snow here for Christmas...

Recipe:
5.5 Gallon

Grain:
9.5lb GW 2-Row
1.75lb Crystal 15L
1.5lb Crystal 75L
1.1lb Munich Light
1lb Carapils
.25lb Chocolate (Patagonia Light-a new tasty one they got at Brew Bros.)

Hops:
1.5oz Cascade (10.2%!!) for 90m
1oz Cascade (6%) for 30m
1oz Simcoe (13%) for 30m
1oz Cascade (6%) for 1m
1oz Simcoe (13%) for 1m

2oz Cascade (6%) for 7 days dry hop
1oz Simcoe (13%) for 7 days dry hop

Yeast:
Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Notes:
Smooth brewing day.  Less that four hours from setup to cleanup.  Gravity came it right at 1.069, which was a little low, but I'm not overly worried.  If the FG comes in below 1.020 then I'll hit my marks just fine.  I'm really liking brewing on the porch as I don't feel so disconnected from my family when I do brew since they're usually in the front room so it's nice being able to play with the kids while brewing!
Update 11/20/11:  So the yeast I used from my yeast supply didn't do anything so after about three days I dumped the wort into another bucket, tried to keep out the bad yeast (I didn't try to hard though) and added the new 1968 Wyeast London Ale Yeast.  Fermentation is going well.  I'll transfer in a couple days.
Update 11/23/11: Gravity is at 1.030, so this needs a few more days.  I shook up the bucket so hopefully that will help.  Flavor was really good though.  Spicy, yet smooth.  This should be great!
Update 11/26/11: Racked to secondary and added the dry hops.  FG was 1.024.
Update 1/27/12: Bottled this a while back and kegged about 2 1/2 gallons.  I'll save some for the long haul so I can try this again in five or ten years.  Flavor was very complex.  It was great with food and pretty good on it's own.  I'll probably not brew this again, but it was very good.

3 comments:

  1. Hey man, like reading your stuff - we're brewing our 2nd Christmas ale up in NE today - curious to see how yours turns out with that hop bill. Just wanted to say hey and keep up the good work.

    -jg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jg. It's nice to know that someone other than my wife is reading this thing! Are you in Northeast USA, or northeast portland?

    You've probably noticed, but I figure you can never have too many hops in a beer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NE Portland. Yeah I like what you're doing - good clones, good originals. As Workhorse isn't being made anymore (was one of my favorite beers), my brew buddy and I have been going off your clone and trying to keep it going...made 4 similar batches so far with slight tweaks.

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...