Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mt Hood IPA

So this is stage two in my IPA journey. It's probably a journey of 10,000 batches (hopefully not literally), so hopefully the batches continue to turn out good. Here's the details: 

Recipe: 
5.5 Gallons

Grain: 
10 lb 2-Row
1.2 lb Carahell
1.2 lb Golden Promise


Mashed 4.65 gallons at 152. 
Sparged 3.5 gallons at 175. (Came out short so I added a gallon of water after the boil). 


Target OG: 1.063 
Actual OG: 1.065 
Final OG: 1.009
ABV: 7.3%


Hops: 
2oz CTZ for 60m 
1oz CTZ for 30m 
1oz Mount Hood for 5m 
1oz Mount Hood at flameout 2oz 


2oz Mount Hood for 7 days dry hop 


Yeast: 
White Labs WLB001 California Yeast Slurry 


Extras:
8oz Oak chips in secondary


Notes: Smooth like always. Gravity came in really high and amount of wort was low, so I added about 3/4 of a gallon of water. That seemed to fix the problem.
Update 7/7/12: Racked to secondary.  FG was at 1.009.  Really dry tasting so far.  I added 2oz of Mt Hood and 8oz of American Oak Chips.  Trying something new with the oak chips.  I guess Vinny at Russian River uses a lot of oak chips in his IPA's, which I consider to set the standard currently, so it seems worthwhile to give a shot to.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Taste Update 7/17/12:  This is easily the worst beer I have ever made.  The oak chips were smoked instead of plain and I didn't even think about that fact until I lifted the lid on the secondary bucket.  I'm going to give this to a neighbor who thinks he might be able to do something with it.  The picture at the left is probably a better name for this because this is what it tastes like!

1 comment:

  1. I bet this one will be awesome. Like sitting around a campfire awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...