Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oatmeal Stout

Man, I really like a good oatmeal stout.  Especially when it's winter and it's an oatmeal stout I made.  A side note...I found a couple bottles of the first oatmeal stout I brewed in the fridge at my in-laws on Thanksgiving from last February.  I figured they weren't going to be finishing them, so I took them and enjoyed one and gave one to a friend who may like it more than I do!  They were delicious!

This is my fourth time brewing a variant of this recipe now, and it keeps on tasting awesome!  This is by far my most recurring recipe, which is interesting since I'm usually not too big on stouts these days...I guess I come up with too many IPA recipe's that are totally awesome!

Recipe:
5.5 gallon

Grain:
12.65# GW 2-Row
.65# Crystal 120L
.65# Chocolate (dark patagonia again!)
.3# Bairds Roasted Barley
.85# Flaked Oats

Hops:
.75oz Cascade (10.2%) for 75m
.75oz Cascade (10.2%) for 60m
1oz Cascade (6%) for 30m
1oz Cascade (65) for 1m
(note the two different alpha percentages)

Yeast:
Wyeast Pacman Slurry

Notes:
First time brewing this where I didn't have any problems or issues.  Original gravity came in at 1.072 (target was 1.074-close enough).  This was the second of two batches that I brewed today.  I prefer doing it this way because I can brew two batches in one day in about 6-6 1/2 hours instead of doing two separate batches of 4-4 1/2 hours each.  Way better.  I think I'll do it this way from here out and not have to take as many days brewing.
Update 11/28/11: Nothing happening in the fermenter.  I'm going to pitch a 1056 slurry in there.  Not sure what happened to the Pacman slurry I used.
Update 12/16/11: Bottled.  FG was 1.016.  Got 18 22's and 23 12's.  Not too bad a haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...