Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, April 6, 2012

Bitter American Clone, Round 4

I'm a really big fan of 21st Amendment Brewing's Bitter American Ale.  The lighter body ale with a big hop flavor is quite good.  That plus the lower alcohol makes for a great spring/summer ale.  I'll most likely be bottling this one, so it should last quite a while (I hope!).  Here's the details.  I've altered the recipe again from previous attempts (1st, 2nd, 3rd).  Hopefully this one hits a little closer.  One problem is that Simcoe is in huge demand hence there's not too much around.  Luckily I still had some in the freezer, but this will use it all up.  Hope it's worth it!

Recipe:
5.5 Gallons

Grains:
5lb Golden Promise (Simpsons)
5lb 2-Row (GW)
.8lb Munich Light (Briess I think?)
.8lb Crystal 40L (GW)

Boil Hops:
.75oz Warrior (17%) for 60m
.25oz Warrior (17%) for 15m
.5oz Warrior (17%) for 5m
1oz Centennial (10%) for 5m
1oz Cascade (6%) for 5m

Dry-Hops:
1oz Centennial (10%) for 7 days
2oz Simcoe (13%) for 7 days
.5oz Warrior (17%) for 7 days

Yeast:
White Labs American Ale (WLP001)

Notes:
Brewed this last week actually along with an Espresso Stout, I've just been busy and pre-occupied with other things since to post.  Brewing went well, except for hitting my gravity.  I was targeting 1.054 (75% efficiency) but got 1.060 (82% efficiency).  Oh well.  That will lose some of the session ale quality, but that's how homebrewing goes sometimes!  Fermentation is still going strong and even overflowing at times (a week later).  Not sure what to think about that.
Update 4/24/12: Racked to secondary and added the dry hops.  FG was 1.014, so looks like about a 6% ABV, which is higher than my anticipated 5.5%.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...