Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Monday, April 11, 2011

Angry Canadian

This is a second take on the "Bitter American" clone I had previously brewed titled "Why Are You Yelling At Me?"  Bitter American is a session ale from 21st Amendment Brewing in San Francisco.  The first time I didn't get the efficiency I wanted from the first mash tun I had made, so I had to use some DME the next day to raise the gravity and try to save it.  Luckily it turned out awesome.  So awesome, I had to make more since I keep drinking it and giving it all away.  This time my buddy Gregg (with 3 G's) came over to help out and split the batch with me.  We did a ten gallon batch, so 5 gallons each coming our way!  This was a nice break in for the new Brew Tree.  Here's the important info you're dying to know...

Recipe:
Grain:
7.5lb GW 2 Row
8lb Golden Promise
1lb Crystal 40L

Hops:
2oz Centennial @ 60m
1.5oz Centennial @ 10m
1.5oz Colombus @ 10m
1.5oz Centennial @ 5m
1.5oz Colombus @ 5m

3oz Centennial for 7 days in secondary
4oz Simcoe for 7 days in secondary

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 Slurry (that thing keeps on giving!)

Extras:
I meant to add 2tsp Gypsum at boil and 2tsp Irish Moss at 15m, but I forgot.

6.2gallons Strike @ 163
8.3gallons Sparge @ 176
Collected 4 gallons from mash and 8.5 gallons from sparge.
Pre-boil gravity adjusted to 1.038 with temp at 140.
Post-boil gravity was 1.043
Anticipated post-boil gravity was 1.043, so I nailed it!
Anticipated final gravity: 1.011
IBU's: 68

Notes:
Gregg modeling the brew tree.  Very nice.
Brewing went super smooth.  The only hitches were forgetting to add the extras and we ran out of propane while trying to get the boil going.  So a quick run to the store down the street and we were back in business.  Otherwise using the Brew Tree is so nice.  Easy to transfer, easy to mash, the keggle mash tun works great, and I can boil 10 gallons and not have to move it to use the counter-flow-chiller.  The 100,000 btu burner's are pretty awesome.  I recommend them.
The counter-flow-chiller wasn't quite as efficient this time, but I still finished right around 75.  I think I need to get the counter-water flow dialed in.  But, the Canadian is fermenting away right now as I type....





Counter-Flow-Chiller in action. 
Update 4/14/11: Gravity is at 1.016 and 1.014 in the two fermenting buckets.  Another day or two and I'll move to secondary.
Update 4/16/11: Racked to secondary and added the dry hops.  However due to my cheapness I only added 2oz of Centennial and 2oz of Simcoe.
Update 4/25/11: I kegged 5 gallons a couple days ago and now I'm waiting for it to be fully carbonated.  Since this is my first keg set up, I'm still figuring it out.  Hopefully it'll be ready soon.  I'll be bottling the other five gallons with Gregg tonight...Bottled it up and got 12 22's and 29 12's.  Pretty good amount and everything went quite smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...