Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

CBHC Double IPA

It's been over two weeks since I've brewed, so I'm itching to get back on the burner.  Hopefully this will end up in a Cornie Keg once I get the kegerator going next month.

So this will be my first time making up a recipe, so I figured I needed to go all out and make some high gravity, high hop IPA.  Hopefully this turns out well.  I plan to brew this on Friday or Saturday this week.  Here's the proposed recipe:

Malts:
12lbs American 2-Row
2lbs Crystal 40L
1lb Carapils

Hops:
Boil Hops:
.75oz Centennial (60m)
3oz Cascade (60m)
.5oz Simcoe (60m)
1oz Colombus (10m)
1oz Simcoe (10m)
.75oz Centennial (10m)
1oz Cascade (1m)
1oz Simcoe (1m)
1oz Colombus (1m)

Dry Hops:
2oz Colombus for 7 days
2oz Simcoe for 7 days

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 Slurry

Extras:
1tsp Gypsum at Boil
1tsp Irish Moss at 15m

Anticipated OG: 1.082
Anticipated FG: 1.020
Anticipated IBU's: 113
Color (SRM): 8.3
ABV: 8%

I'll update after brewing to give the details....

Brewing Update 3/18/11:  Brewing went quite smooth.  My Wort Chiller is awesome, it only takes about 7 minutes to chill from a boil to 68 degrees.  The only hitch I had was the same as last time...I can't get to the target Original Gravity.  I ended up at 1.060 instead of the 1.082.  This will just be a lower bodied ale I guess...oh well.  I had to make a few changes to the hop bill as well since Amarillo is out of stock at Brew Brothers.  I also added a little more hops to make it up to 113 IBU's instead of 108.  I was also able to enjoy a tasty Steam Face while brewing as well as a Cheerilee Scottish Ale.  Both were quite good.  Hopefully I can at least get this down to 1.010 to give it a decent body...
Update 3/22/11:  Gravity is has been at 1.016 for a couple days...decent flavor and body.  I'll rack to secondary, cold crash, and add the dry hops either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.  I'm going to dry hop it for at least a week with loose leaf hops and hope it strains out ok.
Update 3/29/11: I racked this to secondary last week and added 2oz of Simcoe, loose style in the beer.  Hope this will turn out.  After a few days I moved it to the garage for a cold crash.  I should be getting some cornie kegs this weekend, so I'll just keg this one then.
Update 4/3/11: Bottled this up after 10 days secondary with hops floating in it.  That was a little tricky.  Got 17 22's and 10 12's.  Not quite as much as I would have liked, but hopefully they are tasty.  We'll find out in a few weeks.
Update 4/9/11: Tasted this tonight...still a little flat, but a BIG HOP FLAVOR!  This turned out really well.  I can't wait for this to be fully ready.

1 comment:

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...