Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Keggles

One of the kegs before the conversion.
I've begun upgrading my brewing process.  Since a nice 15-20 gallon brew kettle with a ball valve was like $150, I opted to make my own.  So I picked up three 15.5 gallon kegs off craigslist in the last week and have cut the tops off of them.  I then drilled holes and installed weldless ball valves to all three and added thermometers to two of them.  Most of the techniques used were from Poorhouse Brewing.  Check the December 2010 posts to get the details.  The thermometers are sweet and way cheaper than ordering professional ones.  Next up I'll build a brew tree and add the burners to them.  I'm looking forward to better efficiency and an even better brew day.  Also, I've had quite a few people wanting me to brew them some batches, so now I can do a ten gallon batch and keep half and half can go to someone else.  Let me know if you want to go in on a batch!

I cut the lids off with my angle grinder and a steel cutting wheel.  I then polished them up with a polishing/sanding attachment that smoothed them out so I don't cut up my arms when reaching into the keggles to clean them.  I still need to pick up a lid or two from goodwill.


The three final products.

The ball valves I did were simple brass 1/2 inch ball valves from Lowes.  Each one cost like $7, plus a buck or two for each 1/2 thread to cpvc adapter.  I'm going to switch the boil keggle to a copper inside fitting that I can remove to clean.  I'm a little worried about boiling CPVC over and over.  I added a rubber stopper to each inside and outside (touching the keggles) of the ball valves to provide a better seal.  

A close up of the homemade ball valve.
This thing works great for like $12 each!

The thermometers were installed with a 1/2 inch to 3/4 step up rubber stopper.  I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the thermometer stem in the rubber and drilled a hole in the keg.  I then pushed the rubber stopper into the hole and hammered it in tight from the inside of the keg.  After pushing the thermometer through, I put a pin nail through the outside of the stopper to keep it from slipping back in.  They work great and were only like $6 or $7 apiece.  Nice and cheap!

The thermometer with a rubber stopper.  This only cost $7 total.  
This thermometer is nice and big and easy to read!
The not-so-false bottom is simply a steel braided water supply line with the rubber inside removed.  I  attached this to the CPVC Tee attached to the pipe.  I guess that this should work great, according to my buddy Randy.

The not-so-false bottom for the mash tun.  


The Hop Spider is something I saw on homebrewtalk.com  I pretty much copied the one I saw on there exactly.  I still need to add the mesh bag to the bottom of the PVC coupler, but that way the hops will float freely and hopefully give off even more flavor!  This thing cost like $7 so far, plus like the $4 mesh bag I still need to get.  No more muslin bags for me!  
My Homemade Hop Spider.
So there you have it.  My brewing upgrades done for way less that prefabricated stuff from well intentioned, but pricey, homebrew websites.  The bottom line, be creative and save money which can be used for better stuff.  As my dad always says, "what good is money if you spend it?"

3 comments:

  1. Screw goodwill, go to Rose's restaurant supply on SE 3rd and Stark. You'll get them there for like $3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you get comments from ancient posts, but I'm picking up a Craigslist keggle today which doesn't have a thermometer, looking for good ways to do ours on the cheap. You pretty sure boiling rubber is ok...? Also I don't get the false bottom idea - I get it as a strainer, but not as a way to keep grains from getting scorched? Way to make picking 3 kegs of Craigslist sound easy...there's way too many of us out there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...