Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Monday, September 26, 2011

The IPA Experiment, Part 1

So in brewing I usually finish the IPA's much faster than anything else in my supply, so I'm constantly brewing and giving away IPA's.  In the next couple batches I'm going to really test the ingredient process in my IPA's.  While I have a feeling and a hunch on how this will turn out, I figured I would try it anyways.  What I'm doing is brewing two IPA's with the same ingredients, but varying the hop addition times.  This first batch is the bitter version, the second will be the aroma addition.

This IPA has four ounces of hops, all put in during various times of the boil.  The second will have less bittering additions and more aroma/dry hop additions.  So here's the details on round one:

Grain:
12 lb GW 2-Row
1.5 lb Crystal 40L
1 lb Carapils

Hops:
1.5oz CTZ @ 60m
.5oz CTZ @ 30m
1oz Simcoe @ 5m
1oz Simcoe @ flameout

Yeast:
New packet of Wyeast 1056

Notes:
First brew day at the new house.  Not quite a luxurious as the old house (no garage at the new place), but still works well.  Took about 4 1/2 hours.  Only downside is I forgot to take a OG reading, but the pre boil was on target at 1.052, so I'm guessing final was probably about 1.062ish.  That's the one kink in my plan.  Oh well.  I'll try to brew the next batch this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...