Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tara-Dact-Ale round 2 and a bonus!

It was time for another IPA so I reverted to good old Tara-Dact-Ale since it was soooo good last time.  I had to modify the recipe since I messed up buying the hops.  I was trying to double the recipe in my head at the brewing store and I didn't buy enough hops.  Oh well, luckily I have a good supply in my freezer!

Recipe:
11 gallon batch (to split)

Grain:
22lb GW 2-Row
6.6lb Maris Otter
3.3lb Crystal 40L
2.2lb Carapils

Hops:
3.5oz CTZ for 75m
1.5oz Centennial for 75m
2oz Amarillo for 10m
2oz Simcoe for 10m
3oz Simcoe for 1m
.5oz Centennial for 1m

I'll do 2oz Simcoe and 2oz Centennial for 7 days dry hopped

Yeast:
1056 Slurry

Notes:
I ended up not being able to fit the entire grain amount and strike water in the mash so I used less water on the strike and then added water to the sparge.  It seemed to work out ok.  I still hit my gravities perfectly.  However I did end up with like 2 gallons extra from the sparge, so I added another gallon of water through the mash tun and got about 3 gallons.  I then added an ounce of Amarillo and boiled for about 45m.  I added an ounce of Simcoe towards the end for aroma.  Hopefully I get a couple gallons of bonus beer!  Original Gravity for main batch was 1.082, gravity for bonus batch was 1.042 (session beer!).
Update 9/13/11: Racked one bucket to secondary and added dry hops: 1oz Centennial and 2oz of Simcoe, cause more Simcoe is always better!  Gravity was 1.016 for an ABV of 8.7%!  The other bucket needed a few more days.  I think it was because of the warmer weather we had and the buckets were in the garage.  The Bonus Beer was also racked to secondary with an ounce of my neighbors hops thrown in for more flavor.  I'm pretty sure it's cascade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...