Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone





So I just bottled up my Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone I brewed last Saturday. That thing went to town thanks to a yeast starter donation by Poorhouse Brewing. It started at 1.084 and ended at 1.020. Got six 22oz bottles and thirty 12oz bottles. Really good flavor. I'm looking forward to this being ready. Here's the recipe I used from hopville.com:
Ingredients bought at Brew Brothers.



Malt:
7lb 8oz Light Malt Extract
8oz of Crystal 120L
8oz of Flaked Oats
8oz of Chocolate Malt
4oz of Roasted Barley

Hops: (also donated by Poorhouse Brewing)
1.0 oz of Cascade at 75 min
1.0 oz of Cascade at 60 min
1.0 oz of Cascade at 30 min
1.0 oz of Cascade at 0 min for 30 min post boil.

Yeast:
Whatever Randy gave me

Extras:
2Tbs of Gypsum for Boil
1Tbs of Irish Moss for last 15 min of boil.

Brewed on Saturday, Jan 29, 2011.
Bottled on Tuesday, Feb 1, 2011. Tasted before I bottled it. Big malt taste and I could really pick up the oatmeal. This is going to be awesome! I may have to try to get my wife to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to pair up with this...


2/13/11 Update: Really good flavor. Trace of oatmeal and heavy body. This is a winter beer and a good one at that. Another couple days and the carbonation will probably be perfect.

I'll do a side by side in a week or so.






Update 3/4/11: I never did a side by side with this one.  But I did convince my wife to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to pair up.  Oh man, so good.  Here's a picture of my enjoyment.  I'll be doing this recipe again in a few weeks, only all grain this time.

1 comment:

  1. Boy that Randy character sure sound generous...and handsome, brilliant, and talented.

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...