Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bitter American, a review


So on the Super Bowl I crashed my friend Kevin's party. It was only a crash because he didn't know I was in town as normally I am a nine hour drive to his house. Anyways, while there I was able to sample a few of 21st Amendments brews. They're a brewery in San Francisco that is opting to can their brews instead of bottling. Must be the new hip thing to do. Anyways, I had a few varieties including "Live Free or Die IPA", "Back in Black IPA", and "Bitter American". They were all really good, but the Bitter American really stood out. In fact, it was so good I had to run out to get some from Belmont Station in Portland. So here's my thoughts which obviously you have been dying to read about...



Flavor: Outstanding. This is a lighter bodied bitter ale (about 4.4% I believe) with a really good hop finish (probably the Simcoe hops). 21A classifies it as a session ale, meaning lower ABV so you can drink more of them during your drinking session.

Hops: Great. Not overbearing, but definitely present. 42 IBU's (seems low, huh? But with the lower ABV it's a good amount). 21A lists Warrior and Cascade in the boil with Simcoe and Centennial as dry hops.

Drinkability: Probably more than most. This is a great ale for anytime of the day, especially with the lower ABV.

The Bottom Line: I can't wait for Safeway to start carrying this as it is a little pricey at Belmont Station. Kevin said they should be carrying this soon, hopefully close to me at a good price (hint, hint). This is probably in my top five beers right now. It's that good. So go pick some up and bring them over so we can partake together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...