Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, February 25, 2011

First All Grain

So here's some pics from my first all grain session.  Notes about the day on the bottom.
Mash Tun in action.
Mash Tun bundled up!

Draining out the wort.


Spent grain.
One full kettle.
With the wort chiller in for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

So here's the good from today:

1. Mash tun worked great!  Almost too great though.  Got 6.5 gallons of wort.  I was supposed to get 6.1 gallons.  I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.
2. Wort Chiller worked great as well.  Went from boiling to 65 degrees in about 10 minutes.  It probably helped that it was so cold out today.
3. Got to brew.  Always a good time.

And here's the bad from today:

1. Broke my thermometer when it fell off a table.  At least I was all done for the day.
2. Because the mash tun was so great and I got more wort, gravity came out at 1.032 instead of the targeted 1.041.  I should have let it boil longer.  That's just my mistake though.
3. The hose I got for the wort chiller was crap.  It had a dented end so hopefully I can return it.  Also, the attachment for my bottle cleaner that was on the faucet is not stuck to the hose.  So there's another thing I'm going to have to buy.

All in all it was fun as brewing should be.  Hopefully this beer turns out good.  It's supposed to be a session beer, so a lower gravity will definitely help that aspect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...