Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Opening Day Amber Ale

So this will hopefully be my last extract recipe as I'm hoping to get my mash tun built this weekend. I got the cooler mostly cleaned out, but still need to install the filtering pipe and ball joint. Anyways, this will resemble Fat Tire. I chose an amber instead of an IPA for opening day so that more people will enjoy the brew (I have a few people in my family that prefers lower-hop ales). Opening Day is only like a month and a half away, so this should finish conditioning right in time. Go Cubs Go! So here's the recipe that I'll bust out tomorrow:

Malt
6lb Light Extract
8oz Crystal 20L
8oz Crystal 40L
8oz Munich Malt
8oz Dextrine*
*should have been Biscuit Malt, but was not available so I'll try the Dextrine and see what happens.

Hops
.5 oz Nugget for 60min
.5 oz Nugget for 15min
.25 oz Nugget for 5min
Hops were donated by Poorhouse Brewing.  Thanks Randy!
(This seems like a small amount of hops, but I guess after the Steam Face I did last week, everything will seem like a small amount)

Yeast
Supposed to be Wyeast American Ale (1272), but I'm going to use a slurry of the Wyeast American Ale (1056) to save money.

I'll update after tomorrow when I'm done brewing.

Update 2/18/11: Brewing went smooth.  OG was 1.053.  It's pretty cloudy/gritty/grain filled but hopefully will settle during fermentation and secondary fermentation.  This is hopefully the last extract batch I'll do, supposing I'm able to get the wort chiller running during the next week.
Update 2/22/11: Racked to secondary.  Gravity was 1.014.  Great flavor.  Hops aren't what I hoped, but it is an amber and not an IPA like I prefer.  Should be a great one for Opening Day against Pittsburgh.  Also, I got a great slurry of yeast again that I'll re-use again for the next batch.
Update 2/24/11: Going to cold crash this later today and probably bottle early next week.  I want this one to turn out really clear since it's for opening day (a national holiday).
Update 3/2/11: Bottled 10 22's and 26 12's.  Now to just wait for opening day...
Update 4/1/11:  The Opening Day Amber was a hit.  This is a sweet, good flavored amber ale.  I would have like a little more hop flavor, but that's true of everything I guess!  I enjoyed a couple, despite the Cubs inability to win on Opening Day.  But at least baseball is back!
My Opening Day mug with my
Opening Day Amber inside.  Tasty.



1 comment:

  1. Dude, you've been brewing a lot. That's awesome. Glad you are going all grain. I'm doing my first batch on the new system this Saturday

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...