Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, April 1, 2011

Breakfast in a Bottle Stout

This is actually a recipe I've done already, well sort of.  I did this extract style a couple months ago and it was awesome.  So I'm going to do an all grain this time and break in the keggles.  This is pretty much a clone of Rogue's Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout.  Also, I'm going to do a 10 gallon batch this time since a couple guys want to go in on it with me, so hopefully the new equipment works well!





Recipe:
Grains:
22lb American 2-Row
1lb Crystal 120L
1lb Chocolate Malt
1.5lb Flaked Oats
.5lb Roasted Barley

Hops:
2oz Cascade @75min
2oz Cascade @ 60min
2oz Cascade @30min
2oz Cascade @flameout

Yeast:
Pacman Slurry from Poorhouse Brewing.  I plan to split the slurry when I return it, keeping half so I don't have to keep stealing Randys.

Extras:
2tsp Gypsum at boil
2tsp Irish Moss at 15min

Anticipated Post-boil gravity: 1.070
Anticipated Final gravity: 1.018
Anticipated ABV: 6.8%

I'll update after brewing tomorrow and add any notes.  Maybe some pictures as well.

Brewing Notes:
So I brewed this on Saturday, April 2.  I should have done this on the 1st, cause the day felt like a giant April Fools joke on me.  There were some good things though that I'll touch on first, then the bad things.


Wort draining from the Mash Tun.
The Good:
-The hot water keggle and the mash tun keggle both worked great.  I got good sugar out of the mash tun and it stayed plenty warm (after an hour it was still at 152 degrees, right on target).  It will be easier once it's all on the brew tree, which hopefully will be going down this week.
-The new Counter-Flow-Chiller worked great.  Dropped 10 gallons from boiling to 62 degrees perfectly.  The entire flow out for the 10 gallons to run through was about 25-30 minutes.  There was a tiny leak in the epoxy for the water, but I'll add some more and hopefully it will be good.
-The Hop Spider worked well.  Hopefully the hop flavor is increased in future brews.
-I got to brew.



The Bad:
-I still didn't get quite the targeted gravity, so I'll need to fine tune some more.  I wasn't off too much though, but more than I would have liked.
-The ball valve decided to start leaking on the boil keggle right when I added the wort.  That meant moving the wort to buckets while I ran to Home Depot to get a new rubber seal.  Works fine now though, but it added like an hour to the brewing day.
-I also managed to catch the propane hose on fire due to having it too close to the flame as well as wind coming at an inopportune time.  Luckily I was able to see it quickly and shut off the propane line.  That meant running to Home Depot again, and when they didn't have it nor the next place I checked, I resorted in buying a new burner so I could get the regulator and hose from it.  I guess at least I'll have three new burners on the brew tree (once my banjo burners arrive).  So I managed to not blow up my garage or kill myself, so that was good, but it made my 4-5 hour brew day turn into a 8-9 hour brew day.  I was rushing out the door to make it to our Saturday Night Service.  So I still actually have to clean the boil keggle and the hop strainer.

So I was able to save the brew and my life, but it was a stressful day.  Hopefully next weeks is better, supposing I get the brew tree finished.  I don't think I'll brew again until I build that, which will hopefully be this Thursday.

The Stats:
Pre-boil Gravity: 1.040
Post-boil Gravity: 1.062 (I wanted it to be 1.070)
Collected 6.25 gallons of wort from the strike.
Collected 5.75 gallons from the sparge.
Boiled 12 gallons, ended up with 10 after a 75 minute boil.

Update 4/6/11: Bottled this up.  Adam and Daniel came over to help out since they're splitting the batch with me.  We had a good time and got 93 bottles out of the 10 gallons.  They each took 24 leaving me with 45.  Final Gravity was 1.013.  ABV ended at 6.6%, pretty close to the target.
Update 4/11/11: Tried a bottle of this for fun.  Turns out it's pretty much ready!  Good body and flavor.  I can taste the oatmeal much better this time.  Quite enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a crazy brew day. When you say the hose caught on fire do you mean that fire was coming out the air vent next to the hose on the burner? Right now I only have one hose and its 30psi for my big banjo and that is what I use on my little 8 dollar burner. When the wind picks up flames start shooting out the air vent. I usually just blow it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say the hose caught fire I mean the hose got too close to the keggle and the flame and the middle of the hose caught on fire. It was my error that led to it. If only it was just shooting out the air vent!

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...