Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Happy B-Day Aunt Trixie

I usually don't like to brew fruity beers, since I don't really like to drink fruity beers.  However, my little sister in law turns 21 in June, so I'm going to break down and brew her a McMenamin's Ruby Clone, which is a raspberry pale ale.  I should be brewing this tomorrow morning.

Recipe:
5.5 gallons

Grains:
8.8lbs GW 2-Row

Hops:
I think I'll use like .5oz of Colombus for 60minutes.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 slurry that keeps on giving.

Anticipated Results:
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036
Post-Boil Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV: 4.4%
IBU: 21

Extras:
I'll boil about 2 pounds of raspberries and strain the extract and add to secondary.  That way it won't affect the gravity or add too much more fermentation.

Strike: 3 gallons @163
Sparge: 4.6 gallons @ 176

I'll post actual results as they occur as usual.

Brewing Update:  Man, five gallon batches are really easy!  Including cleanup the whole process took about 4 1/2 hours.  Everything went super smooth.  Possibly the smoothest brewing day yet.

Actual Results:
Pre-boil Gravity: 1.036
Post-boil Gravity: 1.040
Collected 1.85 gallons from strike and 4.5 gallons from sparge.
I think I'm missing my temps on the strike cause I'm not pulling the gravity's I'd like to be.  I'll raise them and see what happens.  Either way, this will be a good session beer gravity, which will be good for a 21 year old!
Update 5/13/11: Gravity down to 1.009.  Really good flavor too, and I don't even like beers like this!  I'm going to try to bottle this up tonight.
Update 5/15/11: Finally bottled this.  Got 35 12's and 9 22's.
Update 5/23/11: So my wife said this is her second favorite of anything I've made so far.  Looks like I'll be brewing this again to make her happy.  The raspberry is a nice subtle aftertaste.  This is probably a really good ale for the summer time.

3 comments:

  1. I once brew in 3.5 hours. The trick is to get your mash at like 155-160 so you don't need to cover the MLT. Then you can heat the sparge water while you're mashing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. This is Randy....or is it? Muhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The better trick is to have two lids. Since I've gone to all grain I've been heating the sparge while mashing. I just got the boil going faster this time.

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...