Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, May 13, 2011

Tara-dact-Ale IPA

My super awesome wife has wanted a beer named after her, so here it is.  This is a slight revision from a previous recipe, the CBHC Double IPA.  She loved the CBHC, so I've revised it and changed the name to let people know how awesome my wife is.  I added some Maris Otter to try to up the maltiness to make it more of an imperial IPA and changed the hop bill slightly to go with what I had in the freezer.  Otherwise, this is very similar.





Recipe:
5.5 gallon

Grain Bill:
11 lb GW 2-Row
3.3lb Maris Otter
1.65 lb Crystal 40L
1.1lb Carapils

Mashed 6.4 gallons @ 163 for an hour
Triple Sparged 3 gallons @ 188
Got 4.3 gallons from mash and 3 gallons from sparge.
Boiled down almost perfectly to 5.5 gallons.
Broke my hydrometer the other day, so no gravity readings.
Theoretical Gravities (according to Brewpal):
OG: 1.085
FG: 1.021
IBU: 109


Hop Bill:
1.75oz Colombus for 60m
.75oz Centennial for 60m
1.25 Colombus for 10m
1.25 Centennial for 10m
1 oz Simcoe for 10m
1 oz Simcoe for 1m
2 oz Centennial for 1m

Dry hop for 7 days in secondary:
1.25 oz Centennial
1 oz Simcoe

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 slurry

Others:
Meant to put in 1tsp of Irish Moss, then forgot.

Notes:
Super easy brew day again.  4 1/2 hours start to finish, including clean up.  Other than not having a hydrometer, no problems.  Even Jack wasn't too hard to handle.  I have the grain drying on some old window screens so it won't rot in a bucket as it waits for Gregg's chickens to eat it.
So I got a hydrometer and measured this about 24 hours after fermentation started and it was at about 1.050, so I figure it was somewhere between 1.065 and 1.080 to start.  We'll never know though...
Update 5/15/11: Gravity at 1.018.  Still a ton of foam at the surface from the fermenting, so another couple days until I'll rack to secondary.
Update 5/18/11: Racked to secondary and added 1.25oz of Centennial and 1oz of Simcoe.  I skipped the bag again and I'm letting them free float.  FG: 1.016.
Update 5/23/11: Kegged and added 1oz of Simcoe to the keg.  Let's hope this is hopped to the max!  I'll let this chill until tomorrow and then quick charge it so I can hopefully tap the keg tomorrow night.
Update 5/25/11: Man, this is probably my best yet.  Super hoppy and lots of flavor.  I had to clean out the stem and the lid of loose hops that got stuck though...I may have to rethink that idea in the future.

1 comment:

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...