Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, May 27, 2011

Bachelor ESB Clone

I wanted to do another hop filled creation, but didn't want a full on IPA, so I went with it's distant cousin, the ESB.  I've enjoyed Bachelor ESB from Deschutes Brewing before, so I figured I'd give this a shot.  I screwed up the hop bill though and somehow bought Tettnanger instead of East Kent Goldings.  Not sure how I did that, but oh well.  Hopefully it turns out.

Recipe:
5.5 gallons

Grain Bill:
10lb      GW 2-Row
1.75lb   Crystal 40L
.85lb     Munich Light
.85lb     Carapils

Hops:
1.75oz  Amarillo @ 60m
1oz       Nugget @ 30m
2oz       Tettnanger @ 2m (should have done 1oz East Kent Goldings, but since I got the wrong one I got upset at myself and threw them all in).

Yeast:
Wyeast 1968 London Ale Slurry from Old Dirty Randy

Extras:
1tsp Irish Moss @ 15m

Details:
Anticipated OG: 1.062
Anticipated FG: 1.019
IBU: 65
SRM: 10.5
Strike: 5 gallons @ 165 (collected just over 3 gallons)
Sparge: 3.9 gallons @ 181 (collected just under 4 gallons)

Notes:
A smooth brewing day.  I racked the Black Beauty and my half of the Breakfast Stout (1056 version) to a keg while I finished off the Chico's Export from the keg.  Good timing on that.  Didn't hit my gravity again despite moving my calculations to 70% from 75%.  I'll have to research some more to figure that out.  OG: 1.052.
Update 6/2/11: Racked to secondary.  Gravity was 1.017.
Update 6/9/11: Bottled.  8 22's and 40 12's.
Update 6/22/11: Sampled a couple bottles last night with my wife.  It's really good.  Good hop flavor and a smooth body.  This is a great inbetween of a pale ale and an IPA.

3 comments:

  1. Try moving the efficiency to 67% and see how close you get. Then work on temps, different sparge techniques, using a sparge arm, stirring and everything else you can think of from there to try and bring your efficiency up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try not caring. That has worked pretty well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try a rinse sparge next batch. I usually let the sparge sit for 10 minutes or so. I'll let it flow through this time and see if more sugar gets collected. That and Randy said the new grain mill at BrewBros is much better so it should raise the efficiency's.

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...