Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, May 13, 2011

Black Beauty IPA

I've been wanting to brew up a black/cascade style IPA for a while now.  I've only had a couple different styles, but one that stood out was the Back in Black by 21st Amendment in San Francisco.  Looking at their website, I got a good idea of the recipe, but I figured I'd try to get some details so I emailed the brewery.  Luckily Nico, one of the founders and head brewers emailed me back with some more info.  So I'll list the grain in percentages instead of pounds since that's what Nico sent me.  So here's my take on a Back in Black clone recipe.  Nico, if you see this, thank you!








Recipe:
5.5 gallons

Grains:
78% 2-Row
12% Munich Light
6% Munich 45L
4% Carafa De-Husked Dark Malt

Mashed 5.3 gallons @ 163 and got 3.4 gallons
Sparged 3.7 gallons @ 182 and got 3.6 gallons

Hop Bill:
1.5oz Columbus for 60m
.5oz Columbus for 10m
1oz Centennial for 5m

Dry Hop 1oz Simcoe for 7 days in secondary
Dry Hop 1oz Centennial for 7 days in secondary

Extras:
1tsp Irish Moss for 15m

Notes:
Didn't quite hit my targets again.  I wanted to end up @ 1.070 and ended up at 1.056.  Hopefully the FG ends up lower so the ABV is closer to the target.  I'll figure it out eventually I reckon.  Easy brew day though.
Update 5/18/11: Gravity is at 1.020.  I'll give it another day or two and then rack to secondary and add the dry hops.
Update 5/21/11: Racked to secondary and added 1oz of Simcoe and 1.25oz of Centennial.  Free floating leaf hops.  Should be good.  FG: 1.014.
Update: 5/27/11: Racked to a keg.  I'll charge it and tap it tomorrow.  Update coming then on the flavor of this one.
Tasting Update: I think I got this really close to the original.  I still need to do a side by side, but this has a great flavor with that roasted aftertaste.  The hop flavor is strong, but smooth.  If you're wanting a Black IPA, then make this.  You won't regret it.
Side-By-Side Update: So I picked up a six pack of this to do a side by side comparison.  I've got to say, I really prefer the one I brewed.  But here's the rundown:

Taste: The 21A version has a very dark, smokey, and roasted flavor.  My version has those elements, although much more subdued.  This is the primary reason I prefer my version.

Hops: Almost identical.  I think I really nailed this part.

Color: Identical.

Body/Head: Better head on the 21A.  Same body/mouthfeel between the two.

The Bottom Line: If you want a real roasted, dark, smokey version then get 21A's. If you want a real smooth dark IPA, then come on over to my house before it's gone!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, just saw the Jamil Show did a clone of it too: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/807

    What was your total grain bill weight? Have you brewed since, any updated tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total grain bill was 14.2 pounds for a 5.5 gallon batch. I usually get 70-75% efficiency. I've brewed this once more since the first batch and the second turned out just as good. I'm hoping to do this one again for a 3rd time soon in time for winter.

    Original Gravity was 1.070. FG was about 1.017ish. Hope this helps! Happy brewing as well!

    ReplyDelete

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...