Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Friday, May 13, 2011

Grain Dryer

I did a little research and found out that spent grain is pretty much perfect chicken feed.  I don't have chickens, but I do have a few friends with chickens so I built up a drying rack for the grain that I can leave outside and dry the grain.  It was rotting out before the chickens could eat it all, so hopefully this will do the trick.


I found a 4 foot by 8 foot frame on my sideyard (it's nice living somewhere where there's lots of free stuff!) and so I reinforced it and put some window mesh on the inside to allow airflow and drainage.  

Here's what it looks like.  The corners and frame was existing, so this was pretty easy.  We'll see how it works and hopefully the grain gets used up even more and turns into eggs.

Update: The chickens evidently love the grain.  I guess they may even have to separated when they eat cause one of them gets violent over it.  Good to know the grain is used again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...