Pages

MoreBeer.com - Absolutely Everything! for making your own beer at home.

Amazon

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Breakfast in a Bottle, Round 3.

So I really love this stout.  The oatmeal, the dark malt, the Cascade hops...everything is really good.  So I made another 11 gallon batch, half of it going to my buddy Scott who was jonesing for a dark beer for a good price.  That's where I come in.  So the recipe is pretty similar as the previous incarnation of this, however it's adjusted to account for 11 gallons instead of 10.  The 11 gives a more realistic target of four 24 packs.

Recipe:
11 Gallons.

Grain Bill:
25.3 lb GW 2-Row
1.65 lb Oatmeal (Flaked)
1.1 lb Crystal 120L
1.1 lb Chocolate Malt
.55 Barley (Roasted)

Hop Bill:
2.25 oz Cascade for 90m
2 oz Cacade for 60m
2.5 oz Cascade for 30m
2.25 oz Cascade for 0m

Yeast:
1056 Slurry in one
Pacman slurry in the other
(I'm hoping to see if there's a difference between the two)

Extras:
2tsp Irish Moss for 15m

Specs:
Pre-boil Gravity: 1.050
Post-boil Gravity: 1.061
IBU: 44

Mash: 11.1 gallons @ 163 for 60m
Sparge: 6.3 gallons @ 184-double sparged

Notes:
Everything we smoothly up until boil time.  I had sold my old boil keggle to my buddy since I had another keg I could convert.  I decided that the best time to convert it would be during the mash.  Great idea until the rubber seal broke on the new boil keggle and then I had to run to the hardware store to pick up some more.  But now it's working and working well!  But something about making this stout that leads to problems I guess.  Oh well, it's worth it.
Update 5/23/11: 1056 slurry is at 1.018 and the Pacman slurry is at 1.020.  No discernable taste difference that I can pick up.  I'll give this another couple days to ferment and then I'll bottle it (although I might do a secondary, but I'm not sure yet).
Update 5/27/11: Racked the 1056 to a keg and got 2 22's.  I'll bottle Scott's half in a day or two.
Update 5/29/11: Bottled the Pacman half for Scott.  Got 48 12's for him and 4 22's for me.  I always love it when there's more than 5 gallons in the batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help Support Me! Do your Amazon shopping through this link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...